<![CDATA[While some might prefer heading out for costume parties and Halloween-themed events, nothing quite beats the pulse-pounding thrill of turning down the lights and immersing yourself in a good horror game during Halloween. Even if some of the best horror games are single-player, there are several that allow for multi-player! From hunting down your friends as a souped-up serial killer to the constant threat of impending jump scares, here are our picks for best horror games to play with friends.
Best Horror Games To Play With Friends
1. Dead By Daylight — For fans of cat and mouse gameplay[caption id="attachment_20263" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: steamXO / Flickr)[/caption] Work together with your friends to elude the killer in Dead By Daylight, a fun asymmetrical survival horror game that will test your teamwork abilities! You’ll engage in a tense game of cat-and-mouse as survivors repair generators to escape while killers stalk their prey. Your decision-making matters here as you decide whether to save a fellow survivor who’s been captured or capitalise on his misfortune to escape alive. The developers have even included icons like Jigsaw and Leatherface to make this one of the best horror games to play with friends! Psst, mobile gamers can join in the fun by getting Identity V, a horror game with a similar premise that’s free to download on the App Store and Google Play Store.
2. Resident Evil 7 – For those who love virtual reality (VR)[caption id="attachment_20269" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: BagoGames / Flickr)[/caption] If you’re a glutton for punishment, play Resident Evil 7 in VR and come face-to-face with RE7’s monstrosities! The series goes back to its survival horror roots with its latest efforts to unsettle players. Playing as Ethan, you’ll creep through the derelict Baker estate while attempting to escape from the deranged Baker family. VR amplifies the feelings of dread as you tread through claustrophobic corridors and wince at the punishments subjected to you. A big fan of RE7? Check our list of best PS4 story games with similar compelling narratives!
3. Left 4 Dead 2 – For multiplayer zombie adventures[caption id="attachment_20267" align="aligncenter" width="500"] (Credit: Colony of Gamers / Flickr)[/caption] If you visited any LAN cafe in 2008, you’d undoubtedly have come across one of the best horror games to play with friends, Left 4 Dead 2. Amazingly, this game stood the test of time and remains the go-to game for anyone looking to trudge through the zombie apocalypse with friends! Looking for a more intense horror game experience? Crank up the difficulty to Expert! Your coordination skills are put to the test as ammunition and medkits become scarce and wandering off gets you instantly killed.
4. Dead Space – For sci-fi horror fanatics[caption id="attachment_20264" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: PlayStation Europe / Flickr)[/caption] Although it’s common practice for gamers to aim for the head, Dead Space innovates combat by instructing you to cut limbs instead. You play as Isaac Clarke, a space miner sent to explore the mysterious Ishimura starship. As with most horror games, things go awry when horrific monsters massacre the crew and you’re forced to dispatch enemies by strategically dismembering their arms and legs. Voted best horror game of its time, you’ll have a blast slicing off limbs and scraping by with barely any health.
5. Alien: Isolation – For those who enjoyed Ridley Scott’s Alien[caption id="attachment_20262" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: PlayStation Europe / Flickr)[/caption] A treat for anyone who loves Ridley Scott’s Alien series, Alien:Isolation perfectly recreates the tense atmosphere presented in the first Alien movie! Contrary to modern day horror games, the game is a slow burn as it gradually amplifies the unsettling feeling that you’re being stalked and pursued. The developers have granted the Xenomorph Alien a unique artificial intelligence, giving it two brains. One brain picks up on sound and noise cues made by you. Meanwhile, the other brain already knows where you are and feeds the first brain clues, ensuring you’re always being hunted across Sevastopol Station.
6. Doki Doki Literature Club – For the anime fans[caption id="attachment_20265" align="aligncenter" width="1024"] (Credit: Doki Doki Literature Club / Steam)[/caption] We won’t fault you for thinking Doki Doki Literature Club is your typical Japanese dating simulator with cutesy characters. It starts off with you being invited by your childhood friend to join the school’s literature club. Unfortunately, this soon devolves into a surreal horror game that defies all expectations making it one of the best horror games to play with friends in recent years! We won’t spoil the premise since this is a horror game best experienced first-hand and is free to download. Just make sure to read the description beforehand!
7. Dying Light – For parkour enthusiasts[caption id="attachment_20266" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: PlayStation Europe / Flickr)[/caption] Dying Light is one of the best horror games to play with friends as it makes zombie slaying fun by introducing parkour! Leap from rooftops and scale walls as you use the urban surroundings against the undead masses. With co-op allowing three extra buddies to tag along, you’ll definitely enjoy shredding zombies and drop-kicking them into nearby hazards. By nightfall, the game turns the tables as zombies transform into bloodthirsty Volatiles. You then decide whether to risk exploring for bonus night experience points or to hide in the safezone and wait until dawn.
8. Until Dawn – For teen horror movie fans[caption id="attachment_20270" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: Anna Fredriksson / Flickr)[/caption] Paying homage to old school teen horror movies, Until Dawn is filled with throwbacks to old-school horror movies like Scream and Friday The 13th. These include classic stereotypes like the Smart Asian and Dashing Jock alongside cheap jump scares and characters heading into basements alone. Cliches aside, the game’s core revolves around The Butterfly Effect – a robust cause-and-effect system that ensures every choice made has consequences. This is one of the best horror games to play with friends as it involves multiple decision-making scenarios including debating over who gets to live or die!
9. Outlast – For those who love the chase[caption id="attachment_20268" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: Videogame Photography / Flickr)[/caption] Few games match the same feelings of isolation and tension as the sleeper hit, Outlast! Taking place in an abandoned asylum, you’ll often find yourself hiding under beds with bloodthirsty lunatics in hot pursuit. This is because the game strips you of all weapons, leaving you constantly vulnerable. Armed with just a camcorder and batteries, you’ll often sneak past inmates and navigate through darkened corridors using your night-vision. Unfortunately, you will get discovered and this results in climactic high-speed chases that send you and your friends screaming in fear. Done with our list? We hope you’ll have a blast playing through our recommendations, bonding with your friends and making (spooky) memories! Need some chilling movie recommendations this Halloween? Get your fix by reading our guide to horror movies! Long sessions of watching movies or playing the best horror games with friends will inevitably leave you guys hungry! Why not whip up something tasty with our easy air fryer recipes and keep your tummies satisfied!
New to Shopee? Get $7 off (min. spend $15) with code*: HORRORGAMES *TNC Applies. Valid for new users from 23 to 30 Oct only.]]>