Women always struggle to find a flattering pair of jeans to accentuate their curves, because there are just so many styles and options to choose from. However, you will be glad to know that there is a solution out! We’ve broken down advice from fashion experts on the Dos and Don’ts of denim jeans for the different types of body shapes and sizes. Read on and you will be on your way to finding your perfect pair of jeans!
1. HourglassYou know how femme fatale characters in books or movies are always being described as having an “hourglass figure”? Yeap, that is the body type that most women strive towards. Your bust and hips are well-balanced and your waist is beautifully defined, giving that perfect curve that every lady yearns for. If you have this body shape, these are the Dos and Don’ts when choosing the perfect pair of jeans: Do:
- Mid-rise jeans are the best fit for your body shape to highlight your waistline.
- Straight, slightly flared or wide leg jeans will balance out the hips and highlight them.
- Choose jeans that are made of stretch denim, It is snug through the hip and thigh to create a flattering silhouette.
- Do not wear jeans with details on hips and thighs (e.g. embellishments and detailed pockets, flaps or faded styles). This will put emphasis on the hips and make it look wider.
- Avoid low rise jeans. Instead opt for something that sits near the belly.
- Be careful with high waist jeans – not only because of the weight that will be pushed ultimately upwards, but also because they shorten your torso and the waistline may look too close to your bust.
2. PearPear-shaped ladies have hips wider than their bust and are curvy through the middle. For ladies with this body shape, you will need to find jeans that will enhance the upper body in order to balance with the wider lower half. These are some Dos and Don’ts to take note of: Do:
- Choose tapered jeans to give the illusion of a smaller lower body.
- Wearing flared jeans will give a longer, leaner look.
- High-waist jeans are a good choice as they will draw attention to your top half and accentuate your curves in the right places.
- Do not wear super skinny jeans, especially those that are tight at the knees.
- Avoid wearing jeans with small back pockets, as well as pocketless jeans as this will add extra inches to the lower part of your body.
- Ditch the cropped jeans as this “shortens” the legs and gives the impression of a bulkier bottom.
- Steer clear of wide-legged jeans which will expand the lower body’s silhouette.
3. RectangleThe rectangle body shape, or more commonly known as the straight body shape, is as literal as it can get. In other words, your body lacks the curves both at the upper and lower half. The aim for ladies with such a body shape, is to create an illusion of a waist. Try out some of our tips to find the perfect pair of jeans: Do:
- Try out some low-rise boyfriend jeans as they will help add shape to the lower half of the body.
- Wear jeans with lighter washes or fades along the legs and knees to add shape to the thighs.
- Do not wear straight cut jeans.
- Avoid wearing high-rise boyfriend jeans as they create a very boxy look.
- Do not wear medium rise jeans as they sit exactly on the waistline, which emphasises the straightness of your waist.
4. Inverted TriangleThe inverted triangle body shape normally has a smaller bottom half than top half, and little definition between their waist and hips. Here’s what you have to do – choose a pair of jeans that will make your hips look broader, balancing the top with the bottom half. Look out for these Dos and Don’ts when choosing your jeans: Do:
- Find jeans that are wider in their hemline (e.g. flared and wide leg, unless you are short in height). They will give a long and lean look and make you look balanced.
- Try out some Mom jeans as they are not too skinny and add some width to the lower half of the body.
- Jeans with a lighter wash down the center of the front and back of the thigh will add fullness to slim legs and shape to the thighs.
- Choosing jeans with a dark wash will make your hips appear smaller.
- Wearing super skinny jeans emphasises the smaller lower body, so that’s a no-no!
SizesWe come in all kinds of sizes, tall, short, curvy or slim, and it is really hard to find a one-size fits all. However, do not worry because there is definitely a suitable pair of jeans to compliment your size out there somewhere! Check out some of our tips below and find that perfect body-hugging jeans!
1. PetitePetite girls out there, you know who you are. We (yes we, cos a petite girl is writing this article now :D) often struggle to find a pair of jeans that will not make us stumpy and even more shorter, ahem, I mean fun-size than what we already are. The key to finding the perfect pair of jeans is to create a lengthening illusion for that added height. Here are some Dos and Don’ts: Do:
- Skinny jeans are the number one most recommended silhouette for short girls because the way they hug the legs creates a lengthening illusion. In addition, they also make hips look narrower and legs skinnier, which in effect makes the wearer look taller.
- High-rise jeans are known for its lengthening effect. It will be even better if you can get a pair of solid wash jeans so you can retain an unbroken long line of your body.
- Do not wear jeans that are overly cuffed because they’ll only make you look shorter.
- Do not wear super baggy, slouchy, or dramatically tapered cuts as they create a wide bottom-heavy silhouette that will work against you.
2. TallThere’s a reason why ladies are always jealous of those with tall frames. Their ideal body length allows them to pull off almost all types of jean styles. Here are some useful tips for you to check out, even though we don’t think you really need them: Do:
- Try wearing low-rise jeans as it will help to give your shape proportion
- High-rise jeans will lengthen those already long legs (which is never a bad thing) and will accentuate your waist. Make sure it falls just right above the navel for a comfortable fit that balances the overall figure.
- Tall ladies should all own a pair of wide leg jeans, as this evens out your body proportion and makes you look balanced.
- Do not wear super low-waist jeans as they often don’t have enough rise to properly fit and flatter a tall girl.
3. CurvyGirls with curvy body types must take extra care to select a style that will create a slimming effect in all the right places. When you pick the perfect pair of jeans that hugs your assets and flatters those not-so favourite features, you will be able to perfectly flaunt those curves! Check out some Do’s and Don’ts to get that awesome jeans fit: Do:
- Try wearing straight/flare leg jeans to even out the wider hip proportions.
- Opt for stretchy jeans because it allows the fabric to highlight your best features without any pulling or buckling.
- Get jeans with a dark wash to achieve that ultra slimming effect.
- Choose jeans in classic dark blue with no fading or other color accents to visually make your figure slimmer.
- Do not wear super skinny fit jeans as they will make your sides and belly look unflattering.
- Avoid too much distressing or whiskering, which can visually enlarge heavier legs. However, if you love the distressed jeans trend, you can totally wear them—just shop for a pair with fraying that’s focused around the knee area rather than jeans with heavy shredding on the thighs.