Happy Sunscreen Day! Admit it, many of us skip this step in the morning and go straight ahead to either piling on our makeup (for girls) or simply applying moisturiser (for guys), because this step just too mafan and we’re always rushing to leave the house.
So, why is sunscreen so important? To put it simply, wearing sunscreen will help protect your skin from the damaging ultraviolet rays and in the long run, failure to protect will be reflected on your skin 10 to 15 years down the road. In addition, it will also help prevent the onset of skin cancer, which is a real and pressing problem.
If we’ve convinced you (which we hope we did), here’s a list of 11 recommended sunscreens that will be perfect for wearing under makeup, in Singapore’s unpredictable (and super hot) weather.
1) The Anessa Essence UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster ($39.90) has a SPF of 50+ PA ++++ and is said to be great for daily protection and moisture, especially if you have dry skin. It has a non-sticky milk formula, making it super comfortable for users to apply under your makeup too! Designed with the Aqua Booster technology, this sunscreen becomes even more effective when it comes in contact with sweat or water. Well, it is no wonder it remained in the #1 spot in Japan for 16 years.
Promising Review- “I have this one in its latest packaging (though I’m not sure if it changed or not). This is a really good sunscreen to use for your daily life, with a thin milky fluid. This also goes on really well under makeup! If you do not wear makeup, it is also good by itself, as it dries to a matte finish with no greasy feel during the course of the day.” – veelui
2) If you’re on a budget and do not want to spend too much on sunscreen, you can also consider the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence ($18.90), which is said to be a cheaper alternative to Anessa’s Essence UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster. What’s so special about it? Well, for starters, it claims to have a waterproof and sweatproof formula, making it the perfect sunscreen for Singapore’s climate! In addition to that, it also has a light, watery texture that is easily absorbed into your skin, giving it a non-sticky finish. Ppst, some even say that it can be used as a makeup base.
Promising Review- “My fave sunscreen ever. I alternate this one with other Japanese and Korean sunscreens, but I love this one the most. I know I’m not giving any descriptive info, but others have done that very well. I will say that I hate almost all American sunscreens because they are too thick, leave a whitish cast, stink to high heavens, clog my pores, and ruin my makeup. I have tried most of them over the course of 30 years. This one is a keeper. You can also tell the manufacturer refined the formula for a better application.” – stephgray
3) We’re pretty sure you’ve seen this pretty stick flooding around your Social Media platforms. Yep, it’s none other than the AprilSkin Magic Snow Sunstick ($19.10). Unlike most of the other sunscreens on the market, it is a rolling-stick, making it mess-free and the best product to bring along if you’re always on-the-go. With a SPF50+/PA++++, it is clearly designed to protect your delicate skin from the sun’s rays. It also has a non-white cast when applied onto your face, so you do not have to worry about having to go out looking like Ju-On!
Promising Review- “Great product, my skin is fine but for some reason, I always have breakouts from all types of sunblock. But this is amazing, I gave it a week trial and so far so good!” – Annonymous
4) With the new advanced Solarex-3 technology, the Sunplay Skin Aqua UV Watery Gel ($18.90) is definitely designed to provide an all-encompassing 3-in-1 UV defense system which will help to protect your skin against sun damage, premature ageing and dryness caused by these darn UV rays! As the name suggests, this sunscreen also has a light watery texture, giving a weightless, non-sticky feel. If you’re looking for a sunscreen that will give you a nice matte powdery finish, this will be your best bet!
Promising Review- “I was impressed at the first application! There’s a very subtle floral scent to the sunscreen, but I find it pleasant instead of intrusive. The sunscreen is not sticky and is not greasy at all. I could re-apply with no hassle, and it does not feel eeky at all. Man, drugstore brands are really stepping up their game!!” – chloeash
5) Slightly similar to Biore’s UV Aqua Rich Essence, the L’Oreal Paris UV Perfect Aqua Essence Sunscreen ($20.90) is formulated specifically for Asian skin and is well-known for its ultra-light fresh texture that apparently breaks into water upon contact with skin. It also easily glides onto your skin and unlike most other sunscreens, it is non-greasy and non-sticky, making it super comfortable to wear. On top of all these, it is even designed to help fight against skin ageing, while replumping skin too! It is like a two-in-one skincare and beauty product that you will definitely need as part of your daily routine.
Promising Review- “The texture is very light. It is not like Biore essence where it just sinks in completely into your skin as if it is never there, but more like lightweight watery cream or lotion that doesn’t feel sticky on your skin. It still feels a little bit tacky if you pull or rub your skin, but you won’t feel it. It will leave a satin but non-greasy finish on your skin. It is also quite sweat proof once it settles down. There is a very faint cosmetic scent that I like.” – lavendergarden
6) Part of La Roche-Posay’s best-selling global UV range, the La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Fluid Sunscreen ($32.90) is well-known for its ultra-light and non-greasy texture. If you have sensitive and sun-intolerant skin, this is definitely something you might want to try! In addition, the formula actually contains a combination of Mexoplex, Thermal Spring Water and Mexoryl XL, specially designed to protect your skin cells for a youthful and glowing complexion~
Promising Review- “I love this! My skin didn’t react to this at all. It is fragrance free and you may use it under makeup because your skin would not get greasy at the end of the day. you have to shake it before use so the liquids won’t separate. it really protected by sensitive, acne-prone and combination skin from UV rays.” – oversaet
7) You know how some sunscreens are just so heavy and creamy that you feel weighed down by it? Well, that is because you aren’t using the Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense ($52). Albeit on the pricey side, this sunscreen is famed for its light texture that is easily absorbed by your skin with a few pats. Unlike other brands, the product also doesn’t leave a sticky or greasy finish on your skin. Apparently, there are reports that it can even help prevent up to 90% of skin ageing problems such as fine lines and wrinkles!
Promising Review- “I really like how “dry” this feels on my face. All the other 50 SPF sunscreens make me look pale and shiny like a disco ball. This behaves like a daily moisturiser, I sometimes even forget I have it on. It is very light and comfortable. ” – 翻译
8) You might be put-off at first glance when you squeeze out a little of the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen ($15.13) because of the thick and creamy consistency. But, unlike most other “thick” sunscreens, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen is really easily absorbed into your skin with a quick massage and best of all, it gives a non-greasy finish, making it comfortable to wear under makeup. If you have sensitive skin and do not have the budget to get the La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Fluid Sunscreen, you know what to get!
Promising Review- “As a person with oily skin I’ve been searching for a good sunscreen that won’t leave me looking shiny and greasy an hour after applying. This stuff is IT. I apply this sunscreen, top with primer, then dust my face in loose powder and have no problem staying matte for the majority of my day. Highly recommend this stuff.” – coolbeans83
9) The Dr. Jart Every Sun Day Tone-up Sunscreen ($25.59) is a lightweight sunscreen that has both moisturising and soothing benefits, preventing dryness and yet, it does not leave the skin feeling greasy or sticky. With a subtle light pink-beige colour, it can even work to colour correct your skin tone for a healthier and brighter skin tone. Just a word of caution though, if you have a slightly dark or brown skin tone, this might not work as well, and might leave your skin looking slightly grey without makeup.
Promising Review- “This is one of the few sunscreens I would consider wearing on my face because it’s not greasy, unscented, doesn’t have a white cast and isn’t sticky. It applies like a moisturiser and doesn’t just sit on my skin. I also love the bottle. It has a little nozzle, so you only get as much of the product as you want and is very hygienic. This is something I would use every day.” – pillager13
10) If you have sensitive or oily skin, you can consider getting the Cetaphil Daylong Body and Face Sunscreen ($27.40) that promises all-round protection from both ultraviolet (UV) rays and infrared radiation (IR). It also claims to help prevent cell damage and significantly reduces the effects of sun-induced skin ageing, a problem that is really prevalent in Singapore. Even though it does not give a smooth matte finish like some other sunscreens, this particular product makes your skin feel more hydrated and also provides a slight brightening effect.
Promising Review- “Dries out smooth and matte but still has slight sheen (at least for me). It does leave a slight white cast on my face but quickly fades when dried. I like that it doesn’t leave that typical sticky or oily feeling of sunscreen. The smell is very light (since it’s fragrance-free), you could barely smell this thing. I would recommend this for those with oily/acne-prone/sensitive skin.” – essenceofdittany
11) A new addition to the K-Beauty scene, the Make p:rem Blue Ray Sun Gel ($22.40) was hyped by many Korean Youtubers since its release. If you’re looking for a primer with SPF, this might be your best bet! It is so thin and light that you can easily apply your makeup over it during the day. Squeeze a little out and the cream surprisingly spreads water-thin and even breaks into tiny dew-like droplets when it comes in contact with your skin. The product not only promises to hydrate your skin, but also help to instantly cool your body down, which to us, is the perfect product to use in tropical Singapore.
Promising Review- “Texture is smooth and upon blending gets a bit watery and absorbs well. Do note though that for the first five minutes your skin will be oily. This leaves a greasy feel for a good five minutes but then disappears. Skin feels soft and hydrated and no longer greasy once five minutes passes. Has a mild floral scent to it. It comes in a pump bottle and very affordable for its price. The bonus is that it has chock-full of nourishing fermented plant extracts, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid. Niacinamide is also high up on the ingredient list. It doesn’t leave a white cast and feels like you’re wearing nothing at all. Doesn’t pill under foundation either or layered on top of other skincare. Has not broken me out. I usually skip moisturiser if I use this, as on its own, it’s pretty hydrating for me. But if you have dry skin, best to apply a good moisturiser underneath first. Overall, I love this. This is my new favorite sunscreen. Highly recommended!” – aishteru85
Well, what sunscreen are you using now? Let us know in the comments below!
New to Shopee? Get $7 off (min. spend $15) with code*: HOTSUN
*TNC Applies. Valid for new users from 26 May to 2 June only.