If the snaking queues along Mr Coconut are any indicator, coconut shakes could just be the next bubble tea in Singapore! Fans of the popular Mr Coconut brand swear by its creamy yet light and refreshing drink that is a welcome thirst-quencher in this unforgiving heat. Read on as we break down what goes into a coconut shake, and share with you an easy Mr Coconut shake recipe with the ingredients you’ll need. Psst, now you can have your Mr Coconut shake in just five minutes!
What is in a Mr Coconut shake?
An ingenious idea born in Singapore, Mr Coconut’s signature Coconut Shake is a thirst-quencher in our relentless heat. Their coconut shakes contain mainly fresh coconut pulp, coconut water, and coconut ice cream blended together with ice. This makes for a light, creamy drink that is packed with vitamins and minerals — considering how coconut is considered a superfood! The coconut shake also contains electrolytes that make it a good drink for you to replenish fluids with, especially after exercising.
Their signature drink is the Coconut Shake but Mr Coconut also has other flavour varieties on their menu including Coconut Oreo Shake and Coconut Avocado Shake.
1. Mr Coconut Shake Recipe
This easy-peasy recipe can be whipped up in just five minutes. The timing is also very much dependent on how quickly you can crack open the coconut! Read below for a pro tip on how to crack open the coconut when trying this Mr Coconut Shake recipe!
Prep time: ~5min
Cook time: ~2min (Blend time)
- 1 fresh coconut
- 2-3 scoops coconut ice-cream
- Large ice cubes
- Crack open a fresh coconut (available on GrocerKing Official Store) and pour the coconut water into the PowerPac USB Portable Juicer (available on Shopee Supermarket)
- Scoop about two spoonfuls of coconut ice cream (available on ckhfoodtrading) into the blender.
- Scoop out the coconut flesh and add it to the blender
Pro tip: Try locating the coconut’s natural center point. Tap along this line using the blunt end of a knife. Continue doing so until the husk starts to crack. Gently pry open the coconut along the crack lines to get two halves.
- Add ice cubes into the blender.
- Hit the start button on the blender. Stop blending when the mixture has thickened and when the ice cubes have completely blended.
- Pour the mixture into the Nadir Geometria Long Drink Tumbler (available on Shopee Supermarket) and enjoy!
Don’t stop there! Jazz up your Mr Coconut shake recipe with extra ingredients such as Oreo (available on Shopee Supermarket) crumbs, fresh fruits or even aloe vera bits. The verdict: our team says it tastes just as good (or even better) than store-bought shakes! Score!
To open a coconut:
- Try locating the coconut’s eyes (usually located at one end of the coconut)
- Using a screwdriver (available on Shopee Supermarket), puncture holes into the eyes. You may need to use a hammer to knock the holes in.
- Once done, turn the coconut over an empty bowl for all the coconut water to drain out
- You can use the hammer to crack open the coconut husk. Hold the coconut firmly with one hand, and hammer the coconut while rotating it. Try to do this along the middle of the husk.
- Continue doing so until the husk starts to crack. Gently pry open the coconut along the crack lines to get two halves.
[Bonus]: 2. Caramel Coconut Shake
Try a twist on the traditional Mr Coconut shake recipe with this caramelised coconut shake recipe! It’s sweeter and has a surprise addition of popular Biscoff biscuits for a crunchy, nutty taste. You can use the same Mr Coconut ingredients save for a few additional ones. Oh, and also get ready to snap this shake for the ‘gram! It’s a pretty looking one.
Prep time: ~7min
Cook time: ~2min (Blend time)
- 1 fresh coconut (½ cup coconut water and all the coconut flesh)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 – 3 tbsp condensed milk (less if you like it less sweet)
- 10 ice cubes
- About 1 cup vanilla ice-cream
- Caramel syrup
- Biscoff biscuits (crumbs)
- Using a blender, add all the ingredients. Start with the coconut flesh, followed by ice cubes, coconut water, evaporated milk, condensed milk (both available on Shopee Supermarket) and vanilla ice cream (available on ckhfoodtrading). Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Stain the insides of a mason jar with caramel syrup (available on Shopee Supermarket).
- Pour the coconut shake into the mason jar.
- Add one or two more scoops of vanilla ice cream on top of the shake.
- Top off with Biscoff biscuit (available on Shopee Supermarket) crumbs and voila!
Got the ingredients to try Mr Coconut shake recipe?
Slurp away with this easy Mr Coconut shake recipe! Are you craving other beverages? Try these yummy bubble tea brands for those who’re boba obsessed. If you’re looking for an even healthier beverage, these oat milk recipes show you how to make your own oat milk and how to turn them into snazzy drink recipes. Cheers!