Are you craving for a dish that’s both satisfying and comforting? Look no further than Chicken Claypot Rice, a classic Cantonese dish that’s been enjoyed for generations. This chicken claypot rice recipe is easy to make, delicious, and perfect for a chill night in!
How did chicken claypot rice come about?
Chicken claypot rice has a long history that dates back to the Guangdong province of China. Traditionally, farmers and workers would bring their claypots to the rice paddies, where they would cook rice and vegetables with chicken broth. As the dish gained popularity, it became a staple in Cantonese cuisine. Today, the chicken claypot rice recipe is prepared by people all around the world as a comforting and flavourful one-pot meal.
Chicken claypot rice recipe
The chicken claypot rice is a versatile recipe that can be adapted to suit your taste buds. You can add different vegetables such as carrots, peas, or baby corn, or even substitute the chicken with beef, pork or shrimp. With endless possibilities, this chicken claypot rice recipe is great on days you decide to stay in for your romantic date night. Moreover, the leftovers are just as delicious the next day!
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 2 Chinese sausages, sliced
- 1-inch piece ginger, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopping board
How to prepare this recipe:
- Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the chicken thighs into small pieces and season with salt and pepper
- In a pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and sauté until lightly browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add the Chinese sausages and also sauté until lightly browned. Remove the sausages from the pan and set them aside.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant. Afterwards, add the shiitake mushrooms to the pan and sauté for a few minutes until they start to release their juices.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and sesame oil to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat it with the sauce. Proceed to transfer the rice mixture to the claypot (available on La gourmet Sg) and add the chicken and sausages to the pot.
- Pour the chicken stock over the rice and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the claypot with a lid.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and let the claypot sit for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle chopped spring onions on top of the rice before serving.
Pro tip: Remember to use a claypot to achieve an authentic taste, but if you don’t have one, you can still prepare this chicken claypot rice recipe using the best rice cookers and slow cookers. Though, the texture and flavour might not be the same!
An egg-cellent family meal with this claypot rice recipe
Chicken claypot rice is a perfect example of how simple ingredients can create a delightful and satisfying meal. The combination of tender chicken, savoury sausages, and earthy mushrooms, all cooked with fragrant rice in a claypot, creates a flavour explosion that will leave your taste buds dancing. So let’s get cooking with this recipe and be sure to get your ingredients from Shopee Supermarket to enjoy great prices and doorstep delivery. End off your meal on a sweet note with the best acai bowl recipes or quench your thirst with these slushie recipes!