If you’re a fan of Chinese cuisine, you’ve probably had sesame chicken at least once in your life. This classic dish is a staple in Chinese restaurants and is loved for its crispy texture and rich flavours. But have you ever wondered how to make this delicious dish at home? Look no further! In this comprehensive cooking guide, we’ll share with you our tried-and-tested sesame chicken recipe that’s sure to leave you craving for more.
Where did sesame chicken come from?
Sesame chicken is believed to have originated in the southern Chinese region of Guangdong. The traditional sesame chicken recipe often consisted of diced chicken, water chestnuts, and a savoury sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. The dish was later adapted by Chinese immigrants in the United States; it then became the battered and fried sesame chicken recipe we know and love today!
Is sesame chicken good for you?
While sesame chicken may not be the healthiest recipe for a family meal, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. The deep-fried chicken provides protein, and the sesame seeds offer a dose of healthy fats and minerals. The sauce, however, is high in sodium and sugar, so it’s best to keep portions in check.
Sesame chicken recipe
With its crispy and juicy chicken pieces coated in a sweet and savoury sauce and topped with sesame seeds, it’s no wonder why sesame chicken is so popular. Making it at home can be a fun and delicious way to enjoy this dish while also controlling the quality and ingredients that go into it. With our sesame chicken recipe, you can easily recreate this restaurant-style dish in your own kitchen!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Mixing bowls
- Skillet or wok
- Measuring cups and spoons
How to prepare this sesame chicken recipe:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, salt, and black pepper. In another bowl, beat the egg.
- Add the chicken breasts to the cornstarch mixture and toss until fully coated. Then dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, making sure it’s fully coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet or wok (available on OG Official e-Shop) over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until golden brown and crispy. Use tongs to flip the chicken pieces over and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes on the other side.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and crispy, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until fully combined. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce mixture and whisk together.
- Pour the sauce into the wok and cook over medium heat for about 3 – 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the cooked chicken to the wok and toss until fully coated with the sauce. Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top and serve hot with steamed rice for a hearty meal.
Tips for creating a healthier sesame chicken recipe
If you’re looking for a healthier version of this sesame chicken recipe, you’re in luck! With a few simple swaps and adjustments, you can make this dish more nutritious without sacrificing any of the flavour.
Switch up the cooking method
While the crispy texture of fried sesame chicken is hard to beat, it may not be the healthiest cooking method. Instead, try grilling your chicken with the best BBQ grills. This will help reduce the amount of fat and calories in your dish!
Serve with whole grains and vegetables
For those who love your carbs, use whole grain rice instead of white rice to increase the fibre content of the dish. Be sure to serve with some vegetables to add extra nutrients – broccoli, bell peppers, and snow peas are all great options to also give that crunchy texture!
Egg-splosion of fun with this sesame chicken recipe
Sesame chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that’s perfect to bring on a picnic date; the combination of crispy chicken, sweet and savoury sauce, and sesame seeds is sure to please even the pickiest eaters! So why not give this crunchy delight a try? Prepare your sesame chicken recipe easily with Shopee Supermarket, your one-stop shop for groceries delivered right to your door. Don’t forget to impress your loved ones with some beer cocktails or a cup of lassi for the non-alcoholics!