Want to try the food at Geylang Serai Bazaar that has been all the hype recently but unwilling to squeeze with the crowd or endure the heat? Why not try these alternatives that are relatively cheaper and promises lesser crowd too! You won’t be able to get the full Geylang Serai Bazaar experience or try the exact food, but these are close substitutes!
1. Broti’s ‘Thai Milk Tea’Nothing tastes better than the taste of sweet, refreshing Thai Milk Tea ($4) when you’re at the Geylang Serai Bazaar. But you don’t have to travel all the way there to enjoy it! (But if you are, Broti’s Matcha Charcoal is a must try!) https://www.instagram.com/p/BeSYptnH71C/?hl=en&taken-by=broti_sg There are many outlets that serve Thai Milk Tea in Singapore and Tuk Tuk Cha is one of them. Besides being able to choose your desired sugar level (we know how sweet Thai Milk Tea can be), you’d also be able to add toppings! Although they don’t sell some of flavours you would find at Geylang Serai Bazaar, they still have a pretty wide range of flavours to choose from. Popular favourites are the Thai Milk Tea ($3.50) and Thai Milk Green Tea ($3.50)! https://www.instagram.com/p/BdM9xLCnbJZ/?hl=en&taken-by=tuktukcha Pro Tip: Keep a lookout for their occasional one-for-ones! Broti SG (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 243 & 244 Opening Hours: Open till 11:00PM for the next 2 weeks, then open till late for subsequent weeks Tuk Tuk Cha (313@Somerset) Address: 313 Orchard Road #B3-54 313@Somerset Singapore 238895 (For more outlets, visit here) Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm
2. Super Mango’s ‘Super Mango’Fans of the tropical fruit will be glad to hear they can get a substitute of the famous ‘Super Mango ($8.90)’ from the Tai Mang Le or Super Mango at the Geylang Serai Bazaar. Tuk Tuk Cha has rolled out their new ‘Tango Flamango’ series, with drinks and desserts made from real mango! The closest replica to the ‘Super Mango’ would be the ‘Original Mango Frappe ($6.80)’. It’s even milk free! If you’re more of a yoghurt person, you’ll definitely enjoy the ‘Mango Yoghurt Frappe ($5.80)’ too! https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjcei1XHRlu/?hl=en&taken-by=tuktukcha Tai Mang Le / Super Mango (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 58 Opening Hours: 3pm to midnight, daily Tuk Tuk Cha (313@Somerset) Address: 313 Orchard Road #B3-54 313@Somerset Singapore 238895 (For more outlets, visit here) Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm
3. Sofnade’s ‘Meatballs in a Bucket’Chef Syed x Meatballs in a Bucket is probably one of the main highlights at the Geylang Serai Bazaar. Wherever you go, you’ll see people carrying huge buckets full of savoury, mouthwatering meatballs. But that comes at an immense price though. Not quite literally, but in the form of long queues and the terrible warm weather. https://www.instagram.com/p/BcFTlpShAzO/?hl=en&taken-by=sofnade If you’re craving some meatballs (but without the bucket), why not drop by Ikea! The ‘Classic Meatballs in a Bucket ($9)’ is pretty much similar to the ‘Swedish Meatballs ($6 / 10pcs)’ sold at the popular Scandinavian furniture chain. With the flavourful meatballs, sweet jam and mashed potatoes, satisfy your cravings while enjoying the aircon at Ikea! [caption id="attachment_15865" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: Ruocaled / Flickr)[/caption] The ‘Chicken Satay Meatballs in a Bucket’ at the Geylang Serai Bazaar is nearly irreplaceable. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bir3riGFXBV/?hl=en&taken-by=sofnade But why not get your satay fix at the Lau Pa Sat Stall 7 & 8! You’d be able to get Satay ($0.70 per stick, min 10 sticks), Ketupat rice and satay sauce. It’s more or less what’s sold at the bazaar, sans the bucket and meatballs! [caption id="attachment_15866" align="aligncenter" width="640"] (Credit: Marufish / Flickr)[/caption] Sofnade (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 243 & 244 Location: Tanjong Katong Complex (facing SIMS Avenue) Opening Hours: Open till 11:00PM for the next 2 weeks, then open till late for subsequent weeks IKEA Alexandra (Restaurant) Address: 317 Alexandra Road, S(159965) (For Tampines outlet, visit here) Opening Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 9am – 10pm (Last Order 9.30pm), Friday, Saturday and Day prior to Public Holiday: 9am – 10.30pm (Last Order 10pm) Lau Pa Sat Satay Stall 7&8 Address: 18 Raffles Quay, S(048582) Opening Hours: Monday – Friday: 7pm -1am, Saturday & Sunday: 3pm – 1am
4. Loco Loco’s ‘Churros Platter’Loco Loco’s ‘Churros Platter ($16)’ or various assorted ‘Churros ($6)’ are a must have at the Geylang Serai Bazaar! https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi_n9Cwne8G/?hl=en&taken-by=locolocosg But if you’re unable to travel all the way there or want cheaper alternatives, why not give Churros Factory a shot! They have many special flavours including the Seasalt Charcoal Churros, Ondeh Churros and even the ever popular Classic Original Churros. The best part? They’re currently having a Hari Raya promotion where you can get all these flavours in a set of 10 pieces for only $9.90! It’ll even come with various dips and toppings and will be great for sharing among a group of friends or family. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bibny6Cgio_/?hl=en&taken-by=churrosfactory Loco Loco (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 183 Location: Near Tanjong Katong Complex Opening Hours: 3pm daily Churros Factory (Woodlands Interchange) Address: Q30, Woodlands Ave 2, S(738343) (For more outlets, visit here) Opening Hours: 11am – 10pm
5. Hyde & Co.’s ‘Laksa Hae Bee Hiam Pasta’ and ‘Chilli Crab Pasta’Craving some food to literally spice up your day? Fusion food has been the trend for a while now and the Laksa Pasta is probably one of the more popular ones thanks to its local twist. Hyde & Co. is known for their ‘Laksa Hae Bee Hiam (spicy dried shrimp sambal) Pasta ($9)’ and ‘Chilli Crab Pasta ($9)’ at the Geylang Serai Bazaar! https://www.instagram.com/p/BjObbnkFczI/?taken-by=hydeandco But if you’re not so much a crowd person then head down to the nearest Tender Fresh outlet for a plate of their savoury ‘Laksa Pasta ($9.90)! Although it’s slightly more expensive than that sold at the Geylang Serai Bazaar, they come in larger portions! Tender Fresh’s version even comes with prawns, so it’ll definitely be worth more for the dollar! https://www.instagram.com/p/BcMxupThmAl/?taken-by=tenderfreshsg Hyde & Co. (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 51 & 54 Location: Outside Tanjong Katong Complex Opening Hours: 4pm onwards, 3pm on weekdays Tenderfresh Classic (Punggol Waterway Point) Address: 930 Yishun Ave 2, #B1-53, (S)769098 (For more outlets, visit here) Opening Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 11am – 11pm, Friday & Saturday: 11am – 1am
6. Katoshka’s Assorted Fries, Trifries’ ‘Signature Trifies’ and Sofnade’s ‘Twister Fries in a Bucket’If you’ve already been to the Geylang Serai Bazaar, you would’ve realised that people are carrying either buckets or cups full of fries everywhere. From ‘Twister Fries in a Bucket ($7)’ by Sofnade, to Katoshka’s fries in assorted flavours and even the ‘Signature Trifies ($5)’ by The Tri Fries. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVUOizwgWr5/?hl=en&taken-by=thekatoshka Satisfy your fries cravings without heading down to the bazaar! Carl’s Jr. offers their signature ‘Beef Chilli Cheese Fries ($6.90)’ and have many outlets scattered throughout Singapore, making it more convenient to get your fix. https://www.instagram.com/p/BcoyUwAHUUx/?taken-by=carlsjrsingapore Som Tam also serves amazing ‘Tom Yum Truffle Fries ($6.90)’.This dish is bound to please Thai food lovers that are looking for a slight twist! Although they’re priced pretty similarly to those at the Bazaar, both Carl’s Jr. and Som Tam offers fries at a bigger serving! So they’re still technically ‘cheaper’. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVCNezGFvZC/?taken-by=somtamsg Alternatively, you could just wait for McDonald’s classic Twister Fries to return 😉 The Tri Fries (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 13 Location: Opposite One KM Mall Opening Hours: 5.00PM to midnight Sofnade (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 243 & 244 Location: Tanjong Katong Complex (facing SIMS Avenue) Opening Hours: Open till 11:00PM for the next 2 weeks, then open till late for subsequent weeks Katoshka (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 247 Location: Onan Rd Opening Hours: 7pm onwards Carl’s Junior (Marina Square) Address: No. 6, Raffles Boulevard, #01-202 / 203 Marina Square, S(039594) (For more venues, visit here) Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm Som Tam Address: 181 Orchard Road #08-13, Orchard Central S(238896) Opening Hours: Monday – Thursday: 11.30am – 3pm, 5.30pm – 10pm; Friday – Sunday: 11.30am – 10pm
7. Rainbow Works’ ‘Flaming Unicorn’Everyone probably wants at least one photo for the ‘gram and the ‘Flaming Unicorn ($9.90)’ by Rainbow Works promises just that! The flaming torch lasts about five seconds, but it’ll the perfect Boomerang. https://www.instagram.com/p/Biz5r0gHwRA/?hl=en&taken-by=rainbow_works_ Want something that lasts a little longer? Why not try the ‘Smoking Bingsu ($6.50)’ from UNICE? Bingsu is a popular Korean dessert, made with shaved ice, milk and toppings of your choice. The bingsu sits atop an adorable unicorn float and is absolutely Instagram-worthy material (the float comes at an additional cost)! You can even see parents getting their kids to hold the float while they take photos. The best part? The smoke effect lasts longer and you get to keep the float! [caption id="attachment_15867" align="aligncenter" width="1080"] (Credit: UNICE Singapore / Facebook)[/caption] If you’re not so much a Bingsu person, you could get their teas. Multiple reviews have nothing but good things to say about them! [caption id="attachment_15868" align="aligncenter" width="533"] (Credit: UNICE Singapore / Facebook)[/caption] Another thing Rainbow Works is famous for is their ‘Edible Helium Balloon ($8.90)’. Even Nathan Hartono, Deekosh, Hirzi and Sandra Riley Tang have tried it! https://www.instagram.com/p/BjAkK1qHtCX/?hl=en&taken-by=rainbow_works_ But if you’re more into the helium voice rather than eating the entire balloon, many party stores offer helium balloons at a fraction of the price! Rainbow Works (Geylang Serai Bazaar) Stall Number: 42 Location: Near Engku Aman Road UNICE Address: #B2-135 Northpoint City (South Wing) , S(769098) Opening Hours: 10.30am – 10.30pm daily Looking for other ways to spend the weekend? Why not drop by Universal Studios Singapore, or these quiet places if you’re sick of the crowds. If you have active, water-loving tots, you could even bring them to these free water parks for a splashing good time!
New to Shopee? Get $7 off (min. spend $15) with code*: CHEAPNGD *TNC Applies. Valid for new users from 8 to 15 June only.]]>